Parents and caregivers have been engaging in skin to skin and loving touch for centuries while caring for and nurturing their children.
Infant massage instruction is intended to give caregivers specialized techniques to be utilized as a therapeutic tool. Intentional touch promotes healthy attachment and is a fun way to support an infant’s development. It is a powerful bonding activity benefiting both child and parent/caregiver.
Benefits for babies:
- Provides special time for parent-infant bonding and attachment using eye contact, touch, voice, smell and movement.
- Promotes healthy GI function and can help with colic, gas and constipation
- Promotes weight gain by stimulating growth hormone
- Reduces stress hormone cortisol helping baby relax and calm
- Can help reduce pain and discomfort from teething and congestion.
- Supports deeper and more sound sleep
- Stimulates neural and cognitive development
Benefits for caregiver/parent:
- Promotes parent infant bonding and attachment
- Can decrease symptoms of Perinatal Depression by stimulating oxytocin and supporting bonding
- Teaches parents how to read their babies cues and understand their child’s unique rhythms and patterns
- Helps parents feel more confident and competent in caring for their baby.
- Give parents a special way to interact with their infant
- Provides parents a way to unwind and relax with their infant
- Provides fathers a positive way to interact and be part of the early intimate care of their infant
Lauren Jobe, LCSW is a Certified Infant Massage Instructor (CIMI) with the International Loving Touch Foundation. If you are interested in Infant Massage instruction call 720.675.7123 for a free consultation with Lauren or fill out a form and we will contact you shortly.