Allison Kalivas, MFTC
Marriage and Family Therapist Candidate
Allison Kalivas, MFTC is not afraid to be in a tough place with you. She knows that coming into therapy can be a vulnerable experience. She will be your co-pilot, sitting with you in your experience and motivating you to focus on your goals.
EFT (Emotionally Focused Therapy) couple’s therapy is one of Allison’s specialties. She finds EFT is a powerful tool to strengthen communication skills, especially around the difficult emotions that can leave you feeling misunderstood by your partner. EFT helps couples get to the underlying emotions that cause discomfort in your relationship. Working with Allison, couples create lasting change and deepen understanding of one another. Allison works closely in supervision with our Assistant Director, Kendra Doukas, LMFT on her couple clients, giving each couple the benefit of two marriage and family therapists.
Eating disorder treatment is Allison’s other primary area of expertise. She has worked in an inpatient setting with patients struggling with severe eating disorder symptoms. Her work with patients who need the higher level of care of an inpatient eating disorder setting has deepened her compassion for and comfort working with eating disorders. She is passionate about helping her clients move through discomfort towards acceptance. She is here to be a guide and help you get to the root causes of the eating disorder. Together, you will move towards a working relationship with the eating disorder. Working with Allison you get the benefit of two experienced eating disorder therapists. Allison works closely with her clinical supervisor, Certified Eating Disorder Specialist, Dr. Sarah Long on all her eating disorder patients.
Allison believes that when you are ready to do the deep work and have built trust with your therapist, therapy is transformative. She has seen just how powerful therapy can be and is passionate about her work. She feels honored to participate in her clients’ deep and lasting transformations. If you are ready to dive in to healing your relationship, making peace with an eating disorder, or deepening your self-understanding, Allison is an excellent choice.
Allisons’s Education, Training
- 2018 M.A. Emotionally Focused Therapy in Couples Therapy, concentration of Marriage and Family Therapy, Regis University
- 2012 B.A. Psychology, University of Colorado
- Advanced Training:
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Training, Basic Certification, expected Summer 2021
- Chapter Member, Denver, of the International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals (IAEDP) Foundation
Allison’s Recent Research, Presentations, and Publications
- Thesis: Emotionally Focused Therapy in Couples Therapy: A Case Conceptualization. Regis University.
- Chaimovitz, D., Dickter, J., Kalivas, A., & Poulter, M. (2011). A Comprehensive Analysis of the Relationship Between Psychological Disorders and Traumatic Brain Injuries. University of Colorado, Boulder.
- HealthCare Professionals Panel Opioid Epidemic– (July 2018) Your Questions Answered. Invited presentation to the Colorado Student Leaders Institute. Served as an ambassador and assisted in research of additional resources for the panel.
- Regis 9Health: (April, 2018) Stress Management Screenings – Provided a questionnaire for participants to complete. Reviewed their screening assessment results, asked questions about their results, and provided referrals for ongoing care.
- Caring for aging parents- (April 2018) Invited presentation to Regis University community as part of the Wellness program. Presented “Family Roles and Relationships: Know yourself, know you family, & know your limits” and “Grief & Loss: Ongoing growth through change”.
- Sleep… [presentation focused on increasing sleep hygiene in individuals, couples, and families]. (March 2018) Invited presentation to Regis University community as part of the Wellness program.
- Regis Goes Red 2018 (February 2018) Conducted research and provided evidence-based stress and relational assessments, with corresponding handouts. Additionally, I screened individuals using validated tools during the biometric screening.
- Understanding opioid misuse, abuse, and out patients. (February 2018) Ambassador at RHCHP 3rd Annual Healthcare Inter-professional Healthcare Experience.
Let’s Get Started!
We are committed to helping you find a great fit with a therapist, which is why we offer every new client a FREE initial consultation.