Allison Kalivas, MFTC
Marriage and Family Therapist Candidate
Warm, patient, ready to get to work
Allison Kalivas, MFTC is not afraid to be in a tough place with you. She knows that coming into therapy can be a vulnerable experience. She will be your co-pilot, sitting with you in your experience and motivating you to focus on your goals. Allison’s aim is to empower you and inspire your curiosity about yourself. Together, you will make sense of your life’s path thus far and determine where you want to go next.
Her individual work centers around people ready to get unstuck from old patterns and heal from the past. Clients often seek her out to heal from grief and trauma, deal with depression and anxiety, or cope with an eating disorder. Her couples work utilizes her advanced expertise in EFT to help couples deepen their connections and understand their attachment patterns.
Clients love Allison’s ability to quickly connect and get down to the deep work of individual therapy. People seek her out to work through grief and loss, heal from past trauma, and dig in to the underlying issues that are causing you to feel stuck. Allison excels in her work with people who are tired of feeling stuck, lonely, burned out, and lost. In your work together you will learn to manage emotional regulation, be vulnerable and stop shutting down, uncover purpose in your life, and begin to live in line with your values. She uses her training in EMDR, EFT, ACT, CBT, DBT, IFS and attachment models in her work with individuals.
Couples therapy is one of Allison’s specialties. She uses an attachment perspective to understand how your past relationships are impacting your current one. She helps you see how you can get stuck in a pattern with one another and learn how to disrupt it. She finds her advanced training in EFT (Emotionally Focused Therapy) is a powerful tool to strengthen communication skills, especially around the difficult emotions that can leave you feeling misunderstood by your partner. EFT helps couples get to the underlying emotions that cause discomfort in your relationship. Working with Allison, couples create lasting change and deepen understanding of one another.
Eating Disorder Recovery
Eating disorder treatment is one of Allison’s primary areas of expertise. She has worked in an inpatient setting with people struggling with severe eating disorder symptoms. Her work in the higher level of care of an inpatient setting has deepened her compassion for and comfort working with eating disorders. Allison finds herself deeply moved by the courage and resilience in her clients who are coping with an eating disorder. She is passionate about helping you move through discomfort towards acceptance. Allison is here to be a guide and help you get to the root causes of the eating disorder. Together you will unpack what is bothering you and work towards empowerment around the eating disorder.
When you are ready to do the deep work and build trust with your therapist, therapy is transformative. Allison has seen just how powerful therapy can be and is passionate about her work. She feels honored to participate in her clients’ deep and lasting transformations. If you are ready to dive into healing your relationship, making peace with an eating disorder, or deepening your self-understanding, Allison is an excellent choice.
Allisons’s Education, Training
- 2018 M.A. Emotionally Focused Therapy in Couples Therapy, concentration of Marriage and Family Therapy, Regis University
- 2012 B.A. Psychology, University of Colorado
- Advanced Training:
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Training, Basic Certification, expected Summer 2021
- Chapter Member, Denver, of the International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals (IAEDP) Foundation
- Registered, Inclusive Therapist
Allison’s Recent Research, Presentations, and Publications
- Thesis: Emotionally Focused Therapy in Couples Therapy: A Case Conceptualization. Regis University.
- Chaimovitz, D., Dickter, J., Kalivas, A., & Poulter, M. (2011). A Comprehensive Analysis of the Relationship Between Psychological Disorders and Traumatic Brain Injuries. University of Colorado, Boulder.
- HealthCare Professionals Panel Opioid Epidemic– (July 2018) Your Questions Answered. Invited presentation to the Colorado Student Leaders Institute. Served as an ambassador and assisted in research of additional resources for the panel.
- Regis 9Health: (April, 2018) Stress Management Screenings – Provided a questionnaire for participants to complete. Reviewed their screening assessment results, asked questions about their results, and provided referrals for ongoing care.
- Caring for aging parents- (April 2018) Invited presentation to Regis University community as part of the Wellness program. Presented “Family Roles and Relationships: Know yourself, know you family, & know your limits” and “Grief & Loss: Ongoing growth through change”.
- Sleep… [presentation focused on increasing sleep hygiene in individuals, couples, and families]. (March 2018) Invited presentation to Regis University community as part of the Wellness program.
- Regis Goes Red 2018 (February 2018) Conducted research and provided evidence-based stress and relational assessments, with corresponding handouts. Additionally, I screened individuals using validated tools during the biometric screening.
- Understanding opioid misuse, abuse, and out patients. (February 2018) Ambassador at RHCHP 3rd Annual Healthcare Inter-professional Healthcare Experience.
Let’s Get Started!
Fill out the form to book an appointment with Allison Kalivas.
We are committed to helping you find a great fit with a therapist, which is why we offer every new client a FREE initial consultation.