Have you tried traditional therapy but still feel stuck? Have you been meaning to start therapy for a while now, but due to your busy schedule, it has been hard to find the time to commit to weekly sessions? Is there something you know you need to work on but have been avoiding because it just feels too overwhelming? Are you needing help dealing with trauma right now and don’t want to wait and spend months in the traditional, weekly therapy model? I am excited to offer an accelerated form of therapy: EMDR Intensives.
What is EMDR?
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is an evidence-based treatment model highly recommended for treating PTSD, anxiety, and depression. It is based on the theory that traumatic memories have been stored in the brain in a maladaptive way, causing distress. With bilateral stimulation (eye movement, tapping, or tones), we can uncover and reprocess traumatic memories, change limiting beliefs, and alleviate symptoms that are getting in the way of you living your best life. Click here to learn more about it.
What is an EMDR Intensive Therapy Session?
EMDR intensive therapy sessions allow you to experience results at an accelerated pace. It usually entails 3–6-hour sessions over multiple days where we focus on a specific target. It may feel very intense over that time but also very healing. Clients generally feel a sense of relief knowing that they aren’t affected by a particular issue any more. The goal of an EMDR intensive is to help you move towards healing faster so that you can move forward with your life with less distress. It is ideal for those ready and willing to do the hard work now.
What are the benefits of EMDR intensives?
- Convenience. Rather than dealing with your struggles every week for an extended period, it allows you to work through many issues faster, in a shorter period. You may think of EMDR intensive as going on a retreat, where the focus is on your mental well-being. You are dedicating time for yourself to work on an issue and reap similar benefits as you would in a traditional, weekly model.
- Faster and more accelerated pace. You can make progress much more quickly by having longer sessions because we spend less time opening and closing a session or addressing current crises and concerns and more time reprocessing memories.
- It may decrease treatment time overall. The longer sessions allow you to have the time you need to move through an issue without having to pause the work until the following week. With more time, you often end sessions at a much lower level of distress with potentially less distress to manage between sessions than traditional, weekly sessions. Usually, this decreases treatment time overall.
- Start healing now. For those on a waitlist with another therapist, you can start some of the healing work right away while you wait.
Can I do an EMDR intensive if I already have a therapist?
Yes, I can collaborate with your primary therapist to target specific memories or limiting beliefs; after the EMDR intensive, you will resume working with your primary therapist. Doing an EMDR intensive can accelerate your progress in traditional, weekly therapy as it can help to resolve stuck points.
Who could benefit from this type therapy?
- Someone who travels a lot or has a busy work schedule where they can’t dedicate consistent weekly time to therapy sessions.
- Parents who find it hard to carve out time for themselves for self-care.
- A client whose treatment is interrupted during the summer months because of their and their therapist’s vacation plans.
- Teachers who have the summers off.
- People who have PTO to use up.
- Someone who has been putting off going to therapy because they are afraid it will be too overwhelming to process their past.
- A client who is feeling stuck in their current therapy process and wants to try something new.
Working with the intensive model may feel overwhelming, but if you are ready to get started on healing, why wait? Learn more by scheduling a free 30-minute consultation with me by calling or texting 720.675.7123 or submitting a contact form, and our administrative team will be in touch with you soon.